This department was created with the goal in mind to assist with the holistic support of all students at South Cape TVET College. Some of the services include:
ASSESSMENTS AND SUPPORT
- Pre-entry assessments are conducted in order to assist students in making the correct career choice.
- During their studies work readiness programmes takes place to make sure all graduating students are ready for the professional work environment.
- Life-skills workshops developed by MOT is presented on all campuses by trained Student Support Officers.
- Exit-support is rendered to students needing it upon the conclusion of their studies at South Cape TVET College.
- South Cape TVET College offers free and confidential counselling services to students on all campuses.
- Confidential sessions is available to all students struggling with emotional or personal issues.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS
- Health and wellness services are offered on a quarterly basis at all campuses.
- Students can test blood-pressure, TB status, HIV status, blood-sugar levels and do family planning.
- Session on drug & alcohol abuse is conducted to make sure students are aware of the dangers involved.
- All student activities is coordinated through this department.
- Sport activities such as athletics, rugby, soccer and netball is available on all campuses and campuses compete against each other on a regular basis.
- Annual student events such as Mr & Miss Campus, The Valentine’s Ball and Year End Functions takes place at each campus.
- Students are also part of charitable outreaches throughout the year.
- The orientation programme takes place after registration for all new students in order to familiarize them with their new study environment.
STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE COUNCIL (SRC)
- The SRC is elected by the students to represent them on various platforms
- The Student Support Officer facilitates the election process.
- The Student Support Officer also mentor’s the elected council and supervises the SRC activities throughout the year.
- This valuable arm of the Student Support Services department provides on-going curriculum based support to all students.
- English and Mathematics is two of the focus points for all the South Cape TVET College Campuses.
- Winter and spring schools are organised if and when requested by the campuses academic department.
- Academic Support is also responsible and critical in the early identification and intervention with at risk students.
- As a TVET college student you could be required to complete practical workplace experience.
- The College cannot guarantee placement but will try to assist students by linking them to job opportunities.
- All students must achieve a class attendance of at least 80% and truancy officers plays a vital role with regards to this.
- Truancy Officers will follow up with students who has been absent to ascertain the reason and to make sure they return to class as soon as possible.
- These officers is also responsible for the house visits at personal accommodation spaces to make sure the houses adhere to the College’s criteria.